Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Preparation for Week 3







I was having trouble deciding between starting Larry Fitzgerald against Baltimore or Bernard Berrian against Dallas. Baltimore is supposed to have one of the best D's in the league and Dallas has a pretty suspect secondary.



In fantasy drafts Fitzgerald was considered to be a top 10 receiver while Berrian, though he is Chicago's primary guy, was considered a high #3 in fantasy. I almost pulled the trigger and then I remembered Sept. 10, 2000.



During that season, the Ravens D was considered one of the greatest defenses of all time. My opponent that week had Jimmy Smith in his lineup going against Baltimore. He had a quality backup WR on his bench although I don't remember who it was since I didn't write down what players were on my opponent's benches back then. I only wrote down the starters. Sufficeth to say that it was someone on par with Berrian who was facing a less difficult defense. I was relieved on Sunday morning when I saw that he had chosen to start Smith against Baltimore our matchup was close and I was sure the Jaguar receiver would be shut down.

He scored three touchdowns and had 291 receiving yards. His backup got his average and had he played him, I would have won.

I learned a valuable lesson from my opponent: Use matchups as a consideration between like level players such as Berrian and Vincent Jackson or Larry Fitzgerald and Roy Williams. But when faced with the choice between a #1 receiver and a #3, go with the #1 regardless of the matchup. NFL rules favor the receiver so it's likely that a top receiver will do reasonably well even against a difficult opponent.

None of this is guaranteed but I have spent the early part of many seasons chasing my tail when I would have done at least as well if not better if I hadn't second guessed myself and put in the inferior player, when those that I chose as starters outscored my opponents from the bench.

(Larry Fitzgerald ended up making 5 receptions for 85 yards against Baltimore. Berrian made six for 73. In standard scoring leagues Fitzgerald scored one point more. In points per catch league they tied.)

1 comment:

Steve said...

Historically, I have paid little attention to matchups. Lately, I have begun to play with that fire a little more. So far, results are mixed.