Saturday, September 22, 2007

Week 1 Lessons Learned






















1. While it is good to be aware of stats from the previous year in regard to matchups for week one, if for no other reason than to get in the habit, it is better to go with the best players at each position in the first game.

--Most teams have striven to make improvements where they were weak in the offseason so a bad pass defense from the year before probably doesn't mean a bad pass defense this year. Plus coordinators move around so much that an entire defense of the same personnel may go through a sea-change. Take the Cardinals defense this year that has gone from a weak 4-3 to an aggressive 3-4 with many of the same players.

2. Teams where I "Let the draft come to me." Did far better in week one than teams where I "reached" for RB's in the second and third rounds.

--I credit the quoted term above to Adam Caplan of footballinjuries.com. After I heard him say it on his weekly Sirius radio show I adopted the philosophy and my mockdrafts and real drafts became far more successful. Example: I picked second in one draft. When my turn came in the second round, I saw Chad Johnson was available surrounded by four equivalent number 2 backs. I took Johnson in the third, Jones-Drew in the third and ended up with Larry Fitzgerald in the fourth, and Andre Johnson in the fifth. I still ended up with serviceable backs and tight ends in subsequent rounds (Julius Jones, Jerious Norwood, Kevin Jones, Vernon Davis, and Owen Daniels). When I started playing fantasy football ten years ago it was disadvantage to start receivers over running backs in the flex positions. Because of more and more shared backfields this doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Through two weeks, this is by far my best team.

3 comments:

Steve said...

This blog scares me because it forces me to face the fact that I am a character in but one of your many fantasy lives.

Nevertheless, I look forward to sitting at the knee of the master.

lfjackal said...

Do not be scared. Nor should you despair. It was a phone call from you on a late summer day in 1998 that brought me to this true calling.

Plus a future post will tell the story of how you helped me to form my very first championship team.

Steve said...

Let me guess: you picked up the guys I waived and rode them to victory?

Remember the year that WE won the league championship by making a trade that combined my best players and yours on single championship team? I can't remember if that team played under the name of the Jackals or the Workers . . .